The Quiet Moments

      When I'm at home, all I do is walk. I'll feel that I've been sitting too long, throw on an album, and just explore. I think that I must have acclimated quickly to Oxford because that's exactly what I've been doing here. It has made this little community feel more like my own. I'm starting to find joy in recognizing my way around: turn left at the family owned Thai place, continue past the grocery store covered in scaffolding, take a moment to admire the university press, and jolt across the median before the light turns red again, finding yourself next to an old brick wall with foliage growing over it.

This last week, my tutorial lined up perfectly for me. My tutor had to change our meeting location, and it happened that we met a block away from The Ashmolean library, where we were going as a group later that day. I woke up early, and I began my walk, accompanied by Animals by Pink Floyd. I walked into a cafe I had never noticed before and ordered an espresso and a falafel wrap. I then ate my breakfast leaned against the office building we were to be meeting at. I found myself struck at the place I was in, and how it felt like the portrait of the working world. There is so much of this country that can be best described at set piece moments. The Globe is a perfect example. It was one of the best experiences of my life going there, and it's something I'll never forget. I think I'll eventually forget the details of my daily walks in Oxford, but they bring me just as much joy.

-Cole

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Romans to Bridgerton: The True Bath Experience

Tutorials!