A Rumination on "Meadows"

 


Did you know that a meadow is really just a field? With some flowers in it, I suppose. Maybe some cows, or even horses on a lucky day.

 

I don’t know exactly what I was expecting when I heard the word “meadow”. To be honest, it probably had something to do with faeries and wildflowers and beautiful rays of sunshine… and now I’m realizing how ridiculous that all sounds.

 

This is to say, the meadows have been a little bit disappointing. But that’s where the disappointment ends for me.

 

Oxford is beautiful. Each and every building is so full of history, and beautiful, intricate architecture. The stories surrounding the university are those of ancient kings, fantastic writers and academics, old and precious manuscripts, dead languages… and plenty of references to bloody beheadings.

 



London has been all the more amazing. I can’t tell how much of it is just the awe of being in such a big and important city for the first time in my life, and how much is its genuine charm. I suppose it also helps that it’s rained every day I’ve been to London so far– I’m a sucker for the rain.


 

It’s been lovely to escape from everything and take in the sights. And go to the museums! Not that physical beauty is everything but, well, I’m grateful for what a stunning place I’ve ended up in.

 

(And, to be honest, the meadows weren’t really all that bad.)

 

-K Tertel


 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quiet Moments

From Romans to Bridgerton: The True Bath Experience

Dancing with Mr. Darcy