Free at Last!

     After a long ten days spent in quarantine, we were finally set free at the beginning of this week to explore the wonderful city of Oxford. I'll admit that before coming on this trip I was absolutely terrified of navigating a new city all on my own. So, having free reign and being allowed to go pretty much anywhere I wanted was a new and slightly scary feeling for me. However, this past week has shown me just how freeing it can be (and that reading a map isn't all that hard once you get the hang of it). 

  
View of the city from St. Mary's Tower
    

 Today, I wandered around Oxford and allowed myself to get a bit lost. I walked down Cornmarket Street (a major street with lots of department stores) before turning a few corners and following the cobblestone roads in a new direction. Walking around the city feels like taking a step back in time, with buildings dating all the way back to the 11th century interspersed with buildings from just about every century in between. I can't help but be fascinated by the history and stories that this city and the architecture here holds, and I want to know each and every one of them. We spent a lot of time this past week beginning to discuss the history of the city and these buildings, and my heart longs to dive in even deeper to these stories. I guess it's a good thing we still have another four weeks left to explore! 

A cute bridge we found near the Lock on our Tea River Cruise
The oldest building in Oxford: The Saxon Tower



 

- Mariah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quiet Moments

From Romans to Bridgerton: The True Bath Experience

Dancing with Mr. Darcy