Hiking with the Royals

 

Twenty minutes before seeing A Midsummer’s Night Dream at the Globe on Wednesday (which was terrific), I decided to book an impromptu trip to Windsor. I am not a person who does something on a whim. I very much like to plan things out, but this time I decided to try something new. Taking the free day on Thursday, I ran to OSAP to print my tour ticket, got in the 9:32 am train, and arrived in Windsor by 10:30. (Oxford Study Abroad Program office is the hub for international students to study, meet with tutors, and print!)

When I first got there, I was excited to see the castle. I went into the estate to these grand and elaborate structures created throughout centuries. It was interesting to see some tie-ins with King Henry the VIII and what he did with the castle. I visited Henry in St. George’s castle. Unfortunately, I could not get an audience with him as he well in a profound slumber. However, while in the State’s apartment portion of the Windsor Castle tour, I got to see Princess Anne (from a distance)!

After finishing the fantastic tour, I decided to go on The Long Walk. It’s a 2.64-mile walk from the start of the castle gate to the end of King George III (Copper Horse) statue, and it only allows foot traffic. From there, I just wandered throughout the public park enjoying the birds, the deer, and the occasional police protecting the royal estate in the public park.

While I spent 12 hours in Windsor, it was a perfect day trip!

Caleb Posey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quiet Moments

From Romans to Bridgerton: The True Bath Experience

Dancing with Mr. Darcy