It's hot enough to burn a Martyr

 

The first week out of quarantine has been nothing short of brilliant. I hadn't realized how much I missed walking or even just being outside. This week our Shakespeare class focused on The Life of Henry VIII and the Oxford martyrs--both of which have deep context here in Oxford. It was wonderful to tour around the city multiple times, highlighting the Martyr's Memorial, St. Michael's Church and the site of the burnings on Broad Street, even though it's been so warm here for the whole week. The history of the reformation, among other historical periods, is very tangible here in a way that it is not in the Western United States, and the ability to walk to sites where such historic events happened is fascinating.  I keep catching myself falling down the existential hole of considering all of the people who have walked these streets before me, all of the hands that helped to build these buildings. I'm truly in awe of this place! Our class time has also been super productive, and it's crazy to consider that we've already covered one whole play and that so much of our time here has already gone by. I'm glad that we've been so lucky to get to participate in this program.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quiet Moments

From Romans to Bridgerton: The True Bath Experience

Dancing with Mr. Darcy