Meet the students and hear about life in quarantine

 



We arrived in Oxford last Thursday and immediately were required to go to our flats and begin a 10 full days of self-isolation due to Covid-19 restrictions in England. In addition to the negative test required to get on the plane, we all have to submit two further home tests on days 2 and 8 (walking to the post box is our small taste of freedom on those days) and receive follow up daily phone calls from the National Health Service. We are now on Day 5 of quarantine and figuring out how to navigate jet-lag disruptions to our sleep schedules, how to keep our spirits up while being locked down, and making some discoveries about food delivery services. We check in as a group daily, which is the highlight of Dr. Hentschell's day.

Meet the group:



Karina, Senior, majoring in Neuroscience

"Frankly, the ten-day quarantine in a foreign country where I don’t know anyone, can’t leave the house, and only drink instant coffee has been— well, let’s just say it’s been hard. But I’ve got a nice window view, and plenty of time to read every single book for this course. Hopefully, they’ll be able to drag me out of here at the end of quarantine (and I don’t get stuck in my room playing video games for the whole summer)."


Cole, Junior, double major in English literature and General Philosophy,
with a minor in Media Studies

"We are right across from a pub that has live music. Opening my window makes quarantine feel less isolated."


Tobin, Junior, History major with a minor in English

"The past five days have been very trying, but I've also felt like it's been a good chance to adjust to being somewhere else after not leaving Colorado for a year. Many things in our flat have been breaking, but that has given us [Tobin, Cole, Caleb, and Sam] a chance to bond. It's a weird feeling to be here, but not be able to leave to experience anything that feels foreign. But this rinky-dink flat is already feeling like a home."


Mariah (pictured here with her niece, Audrey), Senior, major in English with an Education concentration and a minor in Spanish

"Moving to a new city has certainly been a new experience for me, and not one that I ever thought I would have. However, it's been nice to have some downtime to adjust to Oxford, get to know my flat mates, and to get ahead on some of our Shakespeare course reading."


Aubrie, Senior, English major with a concentration in Creative Writing

"Arriving in Oxford with a mixed bag of jet lag, excitement, and relief (if you're scared of flying like I am), the ten-day quarantine doesn't seem like too big of a deal until it's officially underway. Being in isolation has allowed for some unique opportunities, such as getting over jet lag before academics start. It also relaxes the process a bit more by heightening interactions with your housemates and getting to know people faster than you would if were constantly on the go. The neighborhood [Jericho] is beautiful and full of life, from what I have seen dropping off my Covid test at the post office down the block."


Caleb, Senior, Business Administration major with a concentration in Corporate Finance, second major in Economics, and a minor in Leadership Studies

"I think it's just such a privilege to study abroad right now and still be able to get to know other CSU students. Whether that's enjoying our quaint home or sitting in our garden with my flatmates, its a great time!"


Amber
, double major in Biochemistry with an American Society of Biochemistry and Microbiology concentration and Biomedical Sciences with a concentration in Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. Minors in Chemistry and Molecular Biology.

"I have really enjoyed the 10 day quarantine period because it has given me time to settle in and get to know my flatmates before beginning classes. It has also allowed me to relax for the first time following a 21 credit semester. I am most excited to explore the University of Oxford and dive into the culture here!"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quiet Moments

From Romans to Bridgerton: The True Bath Experience

Dancing with Mr. Darcy