Poetry and Pondering

    Oxford is vibrating with creative inspiration on nearly every turn. It is not hard to digest the legendary writers that walked these same streets, glanced at something or someone, and thought, wow, this would make a great story. This realization is found every time we take a trip somewhere. Recently, this was the Oxford Botanical Gardens, where The Prince of Wales just planted J.R.R Tolkien's favorite tree. There's also the statue of the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland, planted peacefully in a tree gazing right back at its onlooker. These tangible items linger as a wonderfully haunting reminder of how impactful literature has been in our bustling world.


For my tutorial here at Oxford, I am writing poetry. While I have been writing for a while, I've never been able to write so quickly. Every play we read, every place we visit, gives me a new idea. We recently read and watched Romeo and Juliet (at Shakespeare's Globe). Fittingly, my next poem is titled "Juliet." My tutor appreciates the abundance of poems I present each week, but honestly, it is all in the atmosphere. I highly doubt I would be able to write as much without being in a place that's history simply calls for creativity.



As we wrap up our time here in Oxford, reality begins to seep in, and questions of what's next start to rear their frightening head. Being in Oxford has prepared me to answer those questions without cowering.  


-Aubrie Dickson 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quiet Moments

From Romans to Bridgerton: The True Bath Experience

Tutorials!